I love a good Old Fashioned. I’ve never tried to make one from home but this weekend I found an unopened jar of maraschino cherries that I bought months ago with the intent to make cocktails and inevitably forgot about. They were calling my name. Aside from the cherry garnish, I plan to work on my pizzazz factor because I’ve seen fancy bartenders rub the orange peel around the glass to coat with flavor or stir with a sugar rock candy. Despite my desire for improvements to the aesthetics of the drink, my initial attempt turned out pretty satisfactory.
Ingredients – for one cocktail
- 1 sugar cube or 1 teaspoon of simple syrup
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 1 slice orange peel, including pith
- 2 ounces of bourbon
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Combine sugar cube or simple syrup, bitters, and orange peel in glass. Muddle until sugar is just dissolved.
- Add ice cubes.
- Pour bourbon over ice.
- Top with maraschino cherry.